Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Home again, home again

We got home last night on the 8:30 ferry, after a very long weekend away in Oregon. We spent a wonderful few days with family that we love, doing things that were fun, and yet, when we pulled through the ticket booth in Horseshoe Bay, I felt an involuntary sigh of relief flood through me. Home. Twenty minutes on the ferry, a few minutes of waiting at the dock, two minutes of driving, and life can continue as normal.

Now, normal is a relative thing. We have friends visiting us from California, and I think that they don't find much "normal" about our life at all. A first visit to Bowen is often surreal - it's 8:15 p.m., and someone wants a latte, but, oh well, not on Bowen. Or the desire to buy ice cream at the grocery store off island - well intentioned, but it would just be cream by the time we got home. We live in near the Cove, so I try to walk as much as possible and drive as little as necessary. Up and down the hills, nothing like the flat lands of southern California.Of course, to me, all these are the reasons I love Bowen.

When in the States, Chris and I tend to go on shopping binges, because it is simply so EASY to jump in the car and hit any number of cheap and easy stores. But by the end of two days of this kind of "let's just go and see what we find" kind of instant gratification, I always feel emotionally bloated, and ready for a break. On Bowen, we spend almost nothing, we buy little, and we make do. So, we can't get a latte at night, we can't run to the Superstore when the fancy strikes, going to a movie on a whim is a thing of the past. So what? We get to go for walks and pick berries until our hands are stained and our tummies are full. Everywhere we walk or drive, we run into people we know and love. Probably, this isn't normal by anyone's standards. But I find it pretty fabulous, nonetheless.

4 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

I just discovered your blog and see that I may be too late. Have you quit posting? I grew up with a view of Bowen Island and used to take my bike on the ferry to Snug Cove as a teenager to ride horses at a stable there. Thanks for the trip down memory lane anyway...

4:11 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Thanks for the comment - it's not too late... I've recently discovered that I'm pregnant and haven't had the umph to keep up this site, but hope to hit the end of the first trimester and begin writing again soon... so check in again in a few weeks!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Kim H. Shapiro said...

Hi! I just found your blog and have been enjoying it. Although I grew up in Richmond, I now live with my US husband 45 mins. outside Boston. We have 2 boys, 2 and 5, and have been thinking of finding a quieter, healthier lifestyle by moving back home to BC. We've been thinking of Bowen - because of natural beauty and bit lower cost of real estae - but are worried about the isolation factor, especialy in regards to any health crises the kids might find. How do you find it there? Is it a good place to raise kids? I want my kids to have room to run and grow - rather than be zombies in a shopping mall or in front of the tv!

Thanks for any info! And good luck with your new baby!

Kim
BTW, my blog on life as a SAHM is at kimherdmanshapiro.blogspot.com

3:29 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

What fun to return from a personal pregnancy break to find some messages!
Life on Bowen can seem isolated, but I find it liberating. It is much easier to focus on important things, much harder to be distracted with the harried life on the mainland. I can avoid it or seek it out with a simple ferry ride, and often I just avoid it. I'd love to comment more on it... Let's keep in touch.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home