Friday, September 29, 2006

Art Friday with Saffron

Ah, today is one of my favorite days - both kids are at Montessori having Art Friday with their incredible teacher, Saffron. She is as wonderful as her name. And it is the only morning I have when both kids are at school. It is lovely. Sage is napping, the sun has been streaming in our front windows and the house is toasty warm (we have been experiencing probably the finest September I have ever felt), and I have been enjoying a respite from pre-packing to just enjoy. Lovely.

We are down to a little less than five weeks from moving date. Chris and I continue to pare down our household, one file, fabric and food item at a time. Each day we pick something and go through it, usually finding at least some things which we haven't looked at or used in the last two years. We are getting good at the old reduce/reuse/recycle mantra. Our friends are getting loaded with the treasures we cannot justify storing (or carrying on the plane). I've created a few projects to use up those things I just love (like some black ribbon with white polka-dots - who can just give that away?). It is hard work - giving away those little things you love, that you've been moving for years, that you would like to be the kind of person who has used them. But it feels so good to get rid of the guilt associated with those things that each time I look at them I think "man, I shouldn't have bought that/ stored that/ taken that..." We will leave with a lighter load, both practically and emotionally!

We are all dealing with the grieving process of moving from here. And hoping we might be able to return someday. Sterling in particular is very sad, and has the hardest time expressing it. We've been awash in playdates lately, trying to give him as much time with these friends as possible. Siena is sad, but also very excited about the adventure, and riding on the Metro when we get to DC. Sage is very excited that she continues to wake up and see me at every turn (ah, I LOVE this stage). Ironically, our little Canuck is the only one who won't have memories of Canada.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home