Monday, January 09, 2006

My Son's First Sentence


Today was fairly magical. Sterling (age 5 minus two weeks), has taken an interest in writing and spelling. We won't focus on the fact that this has largely come about because a younger friend (younger being a relative term at almost five - this friend is just two months younger) was "caught" spelling a sentence at Montessori last week. There seems to be a genetic disposition towards a bit of academic competition (NOT something that Montessori encourages, but the genetics from me are quite strong). Whatever the reason, with help from a six year old friend in his class, Sterling wrote the following sentence (accompanied by drawing, which I hope to someday figure out how to upload): i did hrd wrc with mi dad (translation for those who flunked phonics: I did hard work with my dad). He was busting with pride, and even though I know how much help he got and how base competition is as a source of motivation, I almost cried. Here is our first born, writing a real sentence out! I'm awash in feelings of how time flies.

EDITED: for some other stories, you can look here at flickr.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home