Wednesday, April 05, 2006

A Liver and Baby Update

We have been monitoring it now for two weeks, and as we approach 37 weeks pregnant, here's an update!

The baby continues to have a strong and healthy heartbeat, and to move around all the time. Space is getting tight in there, so we are at the stage of seeing little heels and elbows try to poke through my side, which is very fun.

I continue to have all over body itchiness - with little red welts to make sure we haven't missed that my liver is not processing well. Thankfully, the itching hasn't increased, so it is manageable without medication, and despite my vanity (my beautiful ball of a belly has pox marks all over it), I am well. I have finally overcome the winter cough/cold that had me laid up for almost three weeks, and now I am just eager to get the house and ourselves ready for this coming baby!

The cholestasis has not gone away - but my most recent bloodwork shows that it isn't getting worse. I have been going in for weekly bloodwork and fetal monitoring (they just listen to the baby's heartbeat for half an hour and watch to make sure it is happy and healthy). Normally they induce before 37 weeks, but the obstetrian who is consulting with my midwives has felt that the case is mild enough to wait until this Thursday (my actual 37 week date) to do another round of monitoring and then make a decision then. I also see my midwives then, so hopefully we will all be able to come to a consensus about the best approach to take. There is a delicate balance between having a fully cooked baby, who comes in its own time, and making sure that we have the baby before my liver can do any damage to it or to me. I have found my midwives to be very proactive, the obstetrician to be very measured and approachable, and the hospital to be filled with caring nurses. We are in good hands, and as long as we can get ourselves off the island in time, all will be well. And certainly, being in the Lord's hands means that whatever, whenever, wherever, we are confident that we are in the best of hands and only good will come from this.

I've given up my work with the school, for the most part, and have worked hard at resting (it is definitely like work for me to lie in bed all day!). I am not officially on bedrest - but have been trying to lay low and give my body as much support to stay strong as I can. Our community here has been amazing - the love and care we have received from all sides has kept our spirits high and my anxiety low.

The kids are great - they take much of this in stride, and mostly can't wait for the baby to come because it means a sleepover at their best friends house. We have a dear friend here on island who has a tiny one month old, and holding him yesterday, I am eager to meet this peanut inside!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home